All the King’s Men
A Chronological Study in the Gospels on Discipleship
As Jesus headed for the Cross, He narrowed down His message on discipleship. Jesus’ ministry strategy was clear: He would pave the way for Eternal Life through His redemptive work on the Cross. His ministry; however, would be handed over to His disciples, to carry the message of the Gospel to the ends of the earth. Those who choose to be disciples would be empowered by the promised Spirit of God to do what would otherwise be considered humanly impossible.
This study follows the chronological order of Jesus’ teaching on discipleship. It is clear through His teaching that, though it would be optimum if all were disciples of Christ, not all choose to be so. This study is not dedicated only to those who are disciples, but also to those who may consider to be. To some extent, it is a consideration of Jesus’ teaching on the topic of discipleship, so those who commit have a clear understanding of what they are committing to.
- Sept. 19th - Lesson 1: Matthew 10 – Instructions to the 12 apostles as Christ sends them into hostile territory.
- Oct. 3rd - Lesson 2: Matthew 16:24-28; Mark 8:34-9:1; Luke 9:23-27 – The Price of Discipleship
- Oct. 17th - Lesson 3: Matthew 18 – 4 Essential Disciplines for every Disciple
- Oct. 31st - Lesson 4: Luke 12:35-48 – State of Readiness
- Nov. 14th - Lesson 5: Luke 14: 25-35 – Distinguishing Characteristics of a Disciple
- Nov. 28th - Lesson 6: Luke 18:18-30 - The Example of the Rich Young Ruler
- Dec. 12th - Lesson 7: Matthew 20:1-16 – The Lesson from the Laborers in the Vineyard
- Jan. 2nd - Lesson 8: Luke 19:11-27 – The work of being a Disciple
- Jan. 16th - Lesson 9: John 13 – The Last Supper, Jesus’ final words to His disciples.
- Jan. 30th - Lesson 10: John 14 – The New Covenant Promise of the Holy Spirit; The 4 Pillars of the New Covenant (Overview)
- Feb. 13th - Lesson 11: The 4 Pillars of the New Covenant (Regeneration)
- Feb. 27th - Lesson 12: The 4 pillars of the New Covenant (Indwelling Holy Spirit)
- Mar. 13th - Lesson 13: The 4 pillars of the New Covenant (Forgiveness)
- Mar. 27th - Lesson 14: The 4 Pillars of the New Covenant (Responsive Obedience generated by the Power of God)
- Apr. 10th - Lesson 15: John 15 – The Fruitful Branch
- Apr. 24th - Lesson 16: John 16 – Ministry in troubling times