Start times will vary but participants will be notified weekly of those times.
Copper Hills Beginner Mountain Bike Program
Join us as we gather in Jesus' name and celebrate the outdoors through mountain biking. The program will run for 8 weeks and is designed to provide beginner instruction for anyone in the community with the desire to learn basic mountain biking skills, training, and technique.
There is no cost for the program, but participants must provide their own equipment. Read on for the requirements, necessary equipment, and training schedule.
Registration for this program is now full.
Requirements and Necessary Equipment
- Mountain Bike (Hybrid style bike “ok” for weeks 1-3)
- Ability to currently ride 5-7 miles on a bicycle
- Bike is ready to ride (Bikes should be properly maintained prior to training)
- Mountain Bike Helmet (Riders MUST wear a helmet at all times while riding)
- Ability to carry water for 1-2 hours (minimum of 2 water bottles or hydration pack)
- Proper Eyewear
- Long Finger Gloves for winter, short finger for summer
- Extra tube, tire levers, CO2 or small hand pump
- Bike Multi tool
- Fuel – Gels, bars, etc. (Will be discussed before longer rides)
- Best effort to do the prescribed weekly training schedule
- Week 1 – Introductions, initial skill assessments on grass, expectations, and basic bike maintenance. The first week will help shape the next 7 weeks of the program. Discuss RPE – Rate of Perceived Exertion (Scale 1 to 10)
- Week 2 – Answer questions from the previous week and gauge group participation in the high level training schedule. Discuss proper hydration and nutrition. More skill training on grass and timed rides. The timed rides will be tracked for future reference (Success Metrics).
- Week 3 – Discuss and demonstrate proper riding etiquette and safety travelling on roads or trail. Group ride through Westwing in bike lane and on side streets. 8 to 10 miles.
- Week 4 – 1st Trail ride as a group. Location TBD.
- Week 5 – Trail ride – Climbing and Descending. Location TBD.
- Week 6 – Trail Ride- Medium length trail ride (15 miles) Pemberton trail in Fountain Hills.
- Week 7 – Timed Trail ride (Loops). Location TBD.
- Week 8 – Trail Ride – Long ride. Location TBD.